10 Highly-effective Home Remedies for Fever in Kids & Adults
Fever is the natural response of the body to fight with the bacteria, viruses by weakening the germs and limiting their capability to reproduce. It stimulates the immune system. It also helps to burn the toxins. Fever should be cured when the body becomes too weak to handle the infection, when fever makes you extremely uncomfortable and when it is too high for the body. Most fevers can be handled at home only. But if you can’t be able to cure it at home or if you also have severe dehydration along with blue lips, nails, or tongue, severe headache, difficulty walking, hallucinations, difficulty in breathing, etc, then you can go for consulting with the doctor.
There are so many methods available to prevent fever at home only. And those methods are explained in the following points;
Drink a lot of Water
A person should drink at least eight ounces of water every two hours. Your body can get dehydrated by sneezing or sweating caused by illnesses such as flu, cold, etc. Dehydration may cause your temperature to rise which leads to dizziness, seizures, low blood pressure, muscle cramps, headaches, etc.
1. It is recommended by the doctor that an adult should drink at least 2 liters of water i.e. 8.5 c. But one thing you have to keep in mind that caffeinated beverages are not the only sources of fluids. You can get most of your daily fluid from pure water only.
2. Sports liquids are considered only for re-hydration. Not all sports drinks are good for health, so use with proper care. When you go for electrolytes, those are usually far more concentrated than necessary. It is very good if you make your rehydration drink to rehydrate your body.
Wear comfortable clothing
When you have a fever, wear loose and comfortable clothes to make the air circulation easy. Loose clothes give comfortable. If you wear excess clothing, it may trap heat and make the fever last longer. Wear clothes made by natural fibers such as; bamboo, silk, cotton, etc.
Lower the room temperature
The high temperature at room can make the fever last long which causes excessive cause and ultimately lead to dehydration. So, you have to keep your room temperature 73-77 0F i.e. 23-25 0C.
Taking proper rest helps your body to heal faster by strengthening the immune system. It is shown in many cases that sleep distress may increase the production of stress hormones and also weaken the immune system. It may lead to a higher risk of chronic disease as well as lower life expectancy.
Take a warm shower
A warm shower that lasts for 5-10 minutes longer helps to stimulate sweating. It keeps your body cool and fresh. But make sure that, the water is not too hot. Otherwise, it increases your core temperature which may lead to high fever. This method keeps your body clean and helps in reducing the risk of further bacterial or viral infection.
Take a sponge soaked with warm water and dab on your forehead
Take a sponge or a moist towel, soak it in lukewarm water and dab on your forehead and also under your arms. It helps to keep the body cool and also improves blood circulation. It can also reduce nasal congestion.
1. When you are suffering from fever, don’t use cold water, ice pack, or cold shower. All these things may increase the core body temperature.
2. Do not apply warm towels to inflamed skin, because it may cause bleeding and inflammation.
Keep your nose clear
When you are suffering from fever, then it is very important to keep your nose clear because it helps to breathe comfortably. There may be chances that difficulty in breathing may increase your fever. Make sure that you blow gently.
It is recommended by the experts that you blow by holding a finger over a nostril and gently blowing the other into a tissue.
The habit of smoking suppresses the immune system of the body, causes lung cancer, and other respiratory diseases. It is best to avoid exposure to cigarette smoke, tobacco products, nicotine, etc.
Reduce Caffeine intake
Intake too much Caffeine may be bad for health or mostly whenever you have a fever. The overdose of Caffeine may cause many side effects such as; headache, diarrhea, fevers, dizziness, irritability, insomnia, etc. Caffeine also refreshes water excretion. Excessive intake of Caffeine may lead to dehydration. Whenever you are suffering from fever, try to avoid Caffeine or lower your intake can lead to dehydration.
1. As we know, 1 cup of black tea contains 53mg of Caffeine, and 1 cup of brewed coffee contains 133mg of Caffeine. Therefore, it is suggested that avoid sugary soda as well as energy drinks as they can lead to cause vomiting and nausea during a fever.
2. In many cases, an overdose of Caffeine causes chest pain, nausea, headache, vomiting, convulsions, etc.
When you are suffering from fever, you should avoid the intake of alcohol also. Alcohol weakens the immune system of our body.
Avoid inflammatory foods
Foods that increase the infection can cause your fever to last longer. These inflammatory foods may also cause bloating, or indigestion, making you even more uncomfortable. Try to avoid foods which are listed below;
1. Fried foods are not good for health at the time of fever.
2. Try to avoid refined carbohydrates such as; pastries, donuts, white bread, etc.
3. Also the sugar-sweetened beverages such as energy drinks, soda, etc. are not good for health. Especially when you are having a fever.
4. Avoid processed meats such as hot dogs, and red meats like ham, steak, veal, etc.
You can go for anti-inflammatory foods such as; almonds, walnuts, whole grains like brown rice, millet, flaxseed, oatmeal, quinoa, and fruits such as; oranges, strawberries, cherries, etc.
Use herbal Remedies
Herbal remedies at home such as herbal tea contain anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidants compounds which can help to enhance calm indigestion, gastric reflux, relaxation, etc.
1. Peppermint tea may reduce the congestion associated with a cold or flu which has a cooling effect on the body because of its active ingredient menthol.
2. Chamomile tea also helps in reducing the symptoms of anxiety, chest cold, heartburn, insomnia, inflammation, and other throat diseases.
- Best Workout Supplements For Men For Building Muscular Body
- Tips for Maintaining Dental Hygiene of Your Children in Vancouver
- The Significant Role of a Radiographer in a Healthcare
- A Medicine That Claims To Treat Third-Stage Breast Cancer
- Skin Peeling Around Private Area Female: Causes and Treatment