What Are The Possible Signs of Health Anxiety? | Hypochondria
A hypochondriac is a person who persistently suffers from the fear that he has a serious life-threatening illness in spite of few or no symptoms at all. It is also known as health anxiety where a person keeps on imagining physical symptoms of illness. But how to recognize a person who is suffering from health anxiety? So, this article brings you a list of possible signs of health anxiety helping you know about hypochondria.
Without much ado, let’s get started.
Top Possible Signs of Health Anxiety At A Glance
Before reading about signs of health anxiety, you must know that health anxiety varies from person to person and can be affected by the severity of anxiety. Also, signs of health anxiety are of two types, which include physical symptoms and psychological symptoms.
First, have a look at the physical symptoms of health anxiety.
- Feeling like having a regular upset stomach
- Trembling – shaking due to anxiety
- Heart palpitations
- Dizziness or faintness
- Muscle tension
- Shortness of breath
- Increased heart rate
These were the physical signs of health anxiety that you just read now. It’s time to move further to know the psychological symptoms or signs of health anxiety. These include:
- Making continual visits to the doctor
- Talking excessively only about health and related matters
- Spending a lot of time researching symptoms of hypochondria
- Fear about having signs of serious illness
- Avoiding people or places so that they don’t sick (fear of falling sick by coming in contact with people)
- In a constant state of worry that you’re ill or becoming ill
- Believing that physical symptoms are signs of a serious condition
- No social outing or productivity at work due to the impact of anxiety on daily life
- Repeatedly seeking health information
- Believing that medical tests missed something
And so on. There may be many more psychological symptoms of health anxiety, one can experience. But above-listed is major ones in helping identify people with health anxiety issues.
After reading so much on possible signs of health anxiety, the question which would be trotting in your mind is, what are the major causes of health anxiety or hypochondria? So, let’s take this part into consideration as well.
Related Post: What is Asthma and how to realise if you have it?
What Are The Major Causes Of Health Anxiety?
There are many possible reasons that cause people to develop health anxiety issues. Let’s talk about the causes of health anxiety below.
- Dealing with extreme stress
- Experience of stressful events in life
- Recent loss of near or dear one or serious illness
- Dealing with physical health problems
- Experience of serious trauma such as neglect, abuse, bullying, etc.
- Having concerns about health issues from a young age
- Badly abused or bullied in childhood
- Having or had a serious childhood illness
- Worrying about parents with a serious illness
- Trauma like physical/emotional abuse or rape
- Anxiety disorder in the family
And the list goes on and on. There can be many more causes for health anxiety you can find.
Possible Diagnosis: How to Diagnose Health Anxiety?
The fact is that people who suffer from health anxiety aren’t aware that they have this kind of mental illness or suffering from the same. Anyway, diagnosis has to be done if someone is suffering from health anxiety issues. But the question arises how to diagnose health anxiety? There is no doubt that, to get a diagnosis, you have to make a visit to a doctor, right? Once you arrive at the doctor, he will perform a physical exam to see if there is any health condition you are concerned about.
If he finds you healthy, you’ll be referred to a mental healthcare professional and then they will proceed with asking about your health and life. Basically, they will perform a psychological evolution involving some questions like –
- Your stressful situation, issues affecting your life, family history, and worries.
- Drugs you’re using for relieving health anxiety, alcohol, and other substances.
This way any person suffering from health anxiety can be diagnosed. But if you don’t find this diagnosis suitable or working then you have more options available such as:
- Psychotherapy is also known as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This is a very effective therapy in treating health anxiety as it teaches you skills that can help you manage your disorder.
- If people don’t get any changes in health anxiety through psychotherapy, then doctors recommend medications. In case, people have mood swings, anxiety disorder, or any other illness along with health anxiety, then the doctor recommends medication.
Health anxiety is a long-term medical condition that can become worse with age. But with proper treatment and medications, anyone can overcome this illness. You’ve already read possible signs of health anxiety in this article, it’s now easier for you to reduce or control health anxiety.
We hope you found this article informative and helpful.