Types Of Cereals [Benefits And Best Time To Eat]
A healthy day starts with a healthy breakfast and ends with a nourishing one. We all have grown up hearing the benefits of healthy diet consumption despite the imaginary borders that separate us. And nothing can beat the benefits of a tasty, vitamin & mineral-rich bowl of cereals. Let’s find out about different types of cereals grains, the benefits of cereals and the best time for consuming for maximum benefits.
A cereal is a grass cultivated for the edible components of its grains (composed of the endosperm, germ and bran of the plant). They are the edible seeds or grains of a plant, coming from the Gramineae grass family. There are different types of cereals, each with significant benefits and uses. In this post, you will learn all about different types of cereals.
If you have roots coming from India, wheat must be your everyday companion. It’s among the types of cereals which can be consumed in large portions and meets human body’s demand for fiber and carbohydrates.
- A good source of carbohydrates (The Dietary Guidelines for Americans found out, 45% to 65% of your total daily calories should be carbohydrates)
- Helps control your weight
- Protect against cardiovascular disease and improves digestion
- An important source of vitamins & minerals and contains antioxidants
Best time to eat: In the middle of the day when the digestive system is strong.
Rice is yet among other important types of cereals, which has mainly two types- white rice and brown rice and each one of them has its own benefits. Some people associate rice with gaining weight but it’s actually a gluten-free cereal and maintains a healthy body weight.
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight
- A gluten-free grain
- Brown rice- protects against chronic diseases
- White rice- easy to digest and restores energy
Best time to eat: During lunchtime
Rye is among the types of cereals which is not consumed in huge portions like wheat and rice but its benefits surpass other types of cereals. It is great for your heart and boosts your immunity. Consume it according to Ayurveda for most benefits.
- Helpful in losing weight and boosts metabolism
- A good source of soluble fiber, vitamin E, iron, calcium and potassium
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease, breast cancer, colon cancer and diabetes
- Contains less gluten than wheat
Best time to eat: N/A
4. Sorghum (Jowar)
Sorghum is famous among other types of cereals in India along with wheat, rice, barley and oats. It has several benefits mentioned below which make Sorghum a great choice; especially in winter due to its body heating effects.
- Has anti-inflammatory effects
- Can reduce the chances of cancer
- Helpful in reducing weight
- An excellent source of proteins, fiber and antioxidants
Best time to eat: During winters
Museli is a powerhouse cereal which is rich in fiber and proteins. If you are bored of having oats every morning, Muesli might be another yummy breakfast option. Due to Museli benefits, it makes a great option among other types of cereals which have gained popularity in recent years due to their delicious taste and properties. Also, the satisfaction Museli generates after consumption can not be outmatched.
- Rich in fiber and whole grains
- Give your stomach a fuller feeling, for a longer period of time
- Contains beta-glucan that reduces cholesterol
- Maintains body weight and is a good source of protein
Best time to eat: In the morning
Oats are immensely beneficial yet delicious types of cereals and make for a great breakfast option. It has a vast list of benefits like managing body weight and reducing skin irritation and the best part is, oats can be eaten almost any time of the day. You can find oats easily from the supermarket these days. Just mix the packet components in the pan, add water/milk and salt/sugar to taste and you are all set for a fulfilling breakfast.
- Lowers blood sugar levels
- Contains proteins, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants
- Promotes healthy bacteria in the stomach
- Eases constipation and lowers the chance of colon cancer
Best time to eat: Consume it any time due to its easy digestion
We have discussed six amazing and delicious types of cereals in this post. Though there are more to list like ragi, corn, barley, maize etc. It’s important to add them to your diet for a healthy body and mind.
Happy and healthy life!