Scratch No More: Home Remedies For Itchy Scalp
An itchy scalp can be persistent and uncomfortable, often leading to problems like dandruff, oily hair, and hair loss. Thankfully, natural ingredients have the power to treat itchy scalps while saving your thousands of dollars on medication. Coconut oil, aloe vera gel and tea tree oil are a few incredible home remedies for itchy scalp that can provide much-needed relief. Whether your itchy scalp is caused by dryness, dandruff or other underlying factors, these natural remedies can alleviate the irritation and restore comfort to your scalp.
So do not wait or scratch anymore, just follow the below-mentioned instructions for the best itchy scalp treatment.
1. Organic Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a good moisturiser for the hair and scalp. It soothes the skin thoroughly and helps you to aid your itchy scalp. Its anti-bacterial and emollient properties reduce the risk of fungal infection that can occur due to itchiness. It shows results quickly and provides relaxation, making it an excellent itchy scalp home remedy.
Steps to use
- Warm two tablespoon coconut oil and gently massage it on your scalp.
- Leave it for 1-2 hours or overnight if possible.
- Practice this once a week before you wash your hair.
2. Tea Tree Oil
If you are looking for home remedies for itchy scalp, tea tree oil can do wonders. It is known for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It moisturises the scalp and eliminates dryness, which reduces dandruff and itchiness.
Step to use
- Apply 5-10 drops directly to the scalp.
- Massage for 5-10 minutes gently.
- Leave it on your scalp overnight.
- Wash it with normal water.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a week.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has a natural moisturiser that soothes the scalp. Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties reduce the chances of fungal infection that can be caused by dandruff on the itchy scalp. So, if you want home remedies for itchy scalp, aloe vera is the most effective solution.
Step to use
- Take fresh aloe vera.
- Remove the gel from the leaves.
- You can use a grinder to make a smooth paste of it.
- Apply directly on the scalp and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water to ensure the gel is washed off easily.
- Apply it twice or thrice a week.
4. Peppermint Oil
The naturally cooling properties of peppermint oil soothe the itchy scalp. Its anti-bacterial properties will treat dandruff and eliminate the other problems that can be caused due to dandruff and itchiness. It is one of the marginal home remedies for itchy scalp that will help you to get rid of the problems instantly.
Step to use
- Take a few drops of peppermint oil.
- Dilute it with coconut oil or jojoba oil and massage it gently onto the scalp.
- Keep it for 30-40 minutes and wash with normal water.
- Repeat it twice or thrice a week.
If itchy scalp home remedy is something you are searching for, yoghurt can be the solution. It contains probiotics that can help you to maintain microbiomes, reducing itchiness and dandruff. It is the best itchy scalp treatment that will show results immediately.
Step to use
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of yoghurt in a bowl.
- Mix it well to make a smooth paste.
- Apply it on the scalp directly for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do it once a week.
6. Green Tea
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, making it one of the best home remedies for itchy scalp. It calms the irritation and lowers the risk associated with itchiness.
Step to use
- Brew some green tea and let it cool.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse.
- Do it once a week for good results.
In addition to these home remedies for itchy scalp, maintaining good scalp hygiene is also essential. Washing your hair regularly with sulphate-free shampoo and protecting your hair from the heat of styling tools, dust, and sun are a few effective hair care tips. Besides these, avoid using hot water. If the problem still persists, consider consulting a dermatologist or healthcare professional for further treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get rid of an itchy scalp fast?
Home remedies such as coconut oil, almond oil and peppermint oil are effective in eliminating dandruff and aid itchy scalp fast.
Is coconut oil good for an itchy scalp?
Coconut oil is great for overall hair health. It heals the damaged hair by softening, hydrating and strengthening the brittle and broken strands.
What are the five tips for healthy hair?
The major five hair care tips are-
- Do not wash your hair too frequently
- Apply hair conditioner after every wash
- Deep conditioning once a week or month
- Protect your hair from direct sunlight, dust and other harmful components
- Apply serum or other hair-protecting applications before using heating tools
How do you reduce hair fall?
It is normal to shed 50-100 hair a day, but if you are experiencing more than this, you need to first understand the cause of hair fall. Once you identify the reason, then follow the treatment depending on the cause. Changes in diet and avoiding using chemical products are two major solutions to all hair fall problems.
What is the best oil for hair nourishment?
Natural oils are the best to moisturise your scalp and eliminate dandruff.
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Jojoba oil
- Avocado oil
- Almond oil